As the new Rumson-Sea Bright Bridge is in its construction phase, Monmouth County officials issue weekly traffic advisories.
Here’s the advisory for this week:
This week …
Work will continue on the bridge Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., weather permitting. Drivers are asked to consider extra travel time factoring in temporary delays due to bridge replacement construction activities affecting approaching roadways.
Expect the following …
The navigational channel reduction is still in effect. This means …
- The navigational channel width has been reduced from 75 to 65 feet. The reduction is expected to remain in effect until the fall of 2023.
- Work activity will continue in the water south of the bridge on both sides of the river.
Bridge pile deliveries are expected on Thursday, Jan. 26. This means …
- Four bridge piles are scheduled for the Thursday delivery.
- Deliveries are scheduled between 8:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. to avoid school drop off and pick up times. If the schedule changes based on field conditions, delivery may occur after 3:30 p.m.
- Uniformed police will assist with traffic control during the deliveries, regardless.
- For safe passage, the traffic delivery pattern involves temporary disruption of vehicle and pedestrian movement over the bridge and may affect traffic flow on Ocean Avenue in Sea Bright and Rumson Road in Rumson.
- During staging of the pile deliveries, vehicle traffic across the bridge will be alternated in the westbound lane; and, the eastbound sidewalk will be closed.
- During lifting and moving of the bridge pile to the trestle in the river, both travel lanes and sidewalks will be closed for approximately 10 minutes.
- Additional bridge pile deliveries are anticipated every week, weather permitting. With each delivery, vehicles and pedestrians should expect temporary lane and sidewalk closures as noted above.
- Bridge openings for marine traffic will not be affected by the pile deliveries.
— Edited press release from Monmouth County