Many R-FH area daredevils participated in the annual Polar Bear Plunge in Asbury Park this year to ring in the roaring 2020s with a dive and a chill.
But did you know that years ago, back in the 1970s, there was an RFH Polar Bear Club? Yes, a club dedicated to baring down and bearing the icy cold waters of winter for a thrill. Though not too many actually know what was required to attain and retain membership in this exclusive “sporty” club, the group definitely got its own validation as a bona fide RFH club by appearing in the yearbook.
With winter 2020 temperatures predicted to take a hike over the weekend, this club may have been in luck — or lost its thrill-seeker status — these days.
So, the Retro Pic of the Day is dedicated to the winter chill, the plunge and the guys who made it a club.
Do you remember the RFH Polar Bear Club? Know any of these cool beach dudes? Was the club solely dedicated to the dive into icy water? Just what were the membership requirements?
- Retro Powering Through: Light in Dark Sandy Times
- Retro Fair Haven Gals and a Fair Prize Boat
- In Memorium: Fourth-Generation Rumsonite, Former Borough Administrator, Public Servant, Gary Sammon, 77
- Speaking to People: Fair Haven Icon Dorothy Breckenridge’s Final Crossing
- Prosecutor: One Dead, One Injured In Shooting