Reprise from 2016, just because we think more people need to remember summer theater fun at the old classic — The Barn Theatre …
Summer is in full swing. School’s out and kids are embarking on summer activities.
Back in the 1970s, teens were actually singing about it … in summer theater at The Barn Theatre in Rumson.
The Barn, run by the gravely-voiced veteran dancer and theater lady with, yes, cats, and an eccentric flair like none other, Lois McDonald, was a home away from home for many RFHers who had some talent and the energy to rehearse and bond in the mix.
The times were memorable ones with many who turned out to be lifetime friends. And, the theatrical training was irreplaceable. A lot of talent came out of the little theater on Avenue of Two Rivers that aptly used to be a barn.
One summer, in particular, in the late 1970s, many RFHers and teens from surrounding high schools were cast in Bye Bye Birdie.
So, the Retro Pic(s) of the Day honors Lois McDonald’s Barn and the summer memories made with two photos of the cast of Birdie.
It certainly was great to be able to sing “Kids! I don’t know what’s wrong with these kids today!” at 17! Recognize anyone in these photos?
- Retro Fair Haven Fire Company Picnic Pack Fun
- In Memoriam: Longtime Rumsonite, Volunteer, Rumson Country Day & Oceanic Library Board Member, Bob Boyle Sr., 86
- Prosecutor: Fatal Weekend Accident Leaves Motorcyclist Dead, Passenger Seriously Injured
- In Memoriam: Rumsonite Joel Browndorf, 81
- Retro RFHers’ Donovan’s Reuniting