It takes a village to put together a St. Patrick’s Day parade. That village in the Rumson-Fair Haven area is Rumson.
The third annual Rumson St. Patrick’s Day Parade marches into town on March 8.
But, leading up to the main event are several fundraisers to help offset the cost of the new tradition and help out area charities to boot. Those fundraisers kick off at 1 p.m. on *Sunday at Val’s Tavern in the borough.
Parade costs include extra policing, set-up and clean-up for the event. This year, according to the parade website, the charities to benefit from the surplus of parade fundraising events are Jason’s Dreams and S.P.U.R. (Special People United to Ride). Last year, “more than $25,000 was donated to local charities,” according to the narrative on the website.
With an estimated 900 participants in and roughly 7,000 attendees at the 2014 parade, this year’s has lined up “15 bands, floats, active military & veteran’s groups, Irish Step Dancers, antique cars, scouting organizations, non-profit clubs and organizations, novelty acts, and area business and civic groups and a few great surprises,” organizers say on the site.
The fundraising festivities are as follows:
• Sunday, Feb. 22, Val’s Tavern in Rumson from 1 to 5 p.m. … Music by Kevin Feehan & Friends, $10 donation includes music, buffet and bag pipers.
• Friday, Feb. 27, Molly Maguire’s in Rumson from 8 to 11 p.m. … Bloody Callan Band playing Gaelic, American Rock Classics & “a lorry-load of rebel music, $10 donation includes music, buffet and bag pipers.
• Sunday, March 1, Victory Park in Rumson from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. … Lighting of the Green Tree, Irish music and refreshments.
• Thursday, March 5, Salt Creek Grille in Rumson from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. … Rumson St. Patrick’s Day Parade Investiture Cocktail Reception, $75 for tickets.
• Saturday, March 7 at 11 a.m. … KDM Rumson Run 5K, register at www.kdmfoundation.com.
• Saturday, March 7 from 5 to 8 p.m. … Knights of Columbus in Fair Haven … Corned Beef & Cabbage Dinner, Irish music and games for kids … call 732-747-9199 for more information and tickets.