Well, this Retro Pic of the Day features a different bunch from a different class and for a different game — the RFH Student-Faculty Basketball Game. But do you know exactly what year it was? And who are those faculty photo bombers in the background?
Here’s a clue: It looks like John Kirman is the tallest one in the photo above of the “girls” getting set and standing for a new routine.
It’s no secret that RFH has had some slam dunk success with the sport. In 2014, the RFH Boys Basketball team made history with its first Shore Conference Tournament (SCT) victory when the team toppled Christian Brothers Academy (CBA) with a 50-24 final score.
So, to honor the basketball season and victory scores, the Retro Pic of the (George) Day offers a look back at the RFH basketball sidelines and the young players, photographer and scorekeeper of an early 1970s high school game.
The uniforms are quite different now. They’re black, not purple, longer sleeved and, yes, the shorts are longer. Hey, that was the trend back in the day: purple, sleeveless and short (shorts).
Who wears short shorts? Wait, that was the iconic line in that Nair commercial.
Well, these guys wore short shorts. And they played a good game. Aside from the old uniforms, that may have us a bit captivated, all the guys in this photo are fixated on something.
All eyes are looking in one direction. And the scorekeeper is staring and poised to push that button and the photographer (Andy Koch?) is focused and ready to shoot.
Anyone remember this moment and what the focus was on? Come on, zoom! Anyone? Now, about those uniforms … black or purple? Preferences?
Thanks again, George Day, for this priceless score in RFH photography history!
Eleven student-athletes from Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School (RFH) signed National Letters of Intent on Nov. 12, National Signing Day, to play intercollegiate sports.
Student-athletes and their respective programs …
• Hannah Anderson – Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois – cross country
• Cooper Cuje – University of Maryland/Baltimore County – lacrosse
• Catie Ebner – Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania – field hockey
• Kate Fahey – University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan – tennis
• Anna Finn – Sacred Heart University, Fairfield, Connecticut – lacrosse
• Rachel Lehnert – Monmouth University, West Long Branch, New Jersey – cross country
• Morgan Maguire – Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia —baseball
• Samantha Sabino – University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire – basketball
• Emily Schissler – Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio – lacrosse
• Grace Stant – Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania – basketball
• Jillian Swikart – Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania – lacrosse
The National Letter of Intent serves as a binding agreement between student-athletes and their intended collegiate sports programs, and marks the final step in the recruitment and commitment process.