Prosecutor: Area Man Gets 50 Years for 2014 Attempted Murder

An area man was sentenced on Friday to 50 years in prison for the 2014 attempted murder of a Red Bank man, Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni announced.

Anthony Sims, Jr., 28, of Long Branch, was sentenced to 50 years in a New Jersey state prison by Monmouth County Superior Court Judge Thomas F. Scully for the shooting of 31-year-old Perry Veney in Red Bank.

The case background … 

On July 11, 2017, after a five-week jury trial, Sims was convicted of first-degree attempted murder, second-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and second-degree unlawful possession of a weapon.

Testimony at trial revealed that on April 9, 2014, Sims traveled to Red Bank where he found Veney seated in the driver’s seat of his car parked in front of his grandmother’s home at 13 Willow Street.

Using a semi-automatic handgun, Sims fired 15 rounds into the car where Veney was seated, striking the victim more than 10 times.

Veney was airlifted to Jersey Shore University Medical Center where he underwent multiple lifesaving operations. As a result of a joint investigation conducted by the Red Bank Police Department and the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office, Sims was arrested on April 14, 2014 for the shooting.

At the time of his arrest, Sims was under parole supervision for two prior Red Bank attempted manslaughters. Sims had been released on parole from State Prison on January 13, 2014, less than three months before committing this crime.

As a result of his prior record, Judge Scully imposed an extended term of imprisonment upon Sims. Under the provisions of the No Early Release Act, Sims must serve 85 percent of his sentence, or 42 years and six months, before he is eligible for release on parole.

Monmouth County Assistant Prosecutors Martha Nye and Caitlin Sidley prosecuted the case for the State. Sims was represented by John Perrone, Esq., of Long Branch.

— Edited press release from the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office