Do you hear what I hear? It’s the playback sound of student musicians at Knollwood School’s annual Winter Concert.
Knollwood students and their directors recently put the usual unique twist on holiday classics and popular tunes.
“Our Knollwood musicians and performers are tremendously talented,” said Knollwood School Principal Amy Romano. “Our Music Department directors are not only gifted but they inspire our students to perform at levels that far exceed their grade level. The concert was enjoyed by all who attended.”
The concert was held on the evenings of Dec. 12 and 13 at Knollwood and directed by Mel Chayette (orchestra director), Karen Hauge (choral director), and Sara Marino (band director).
It featured the following:
• Beginning Band — Hot Cross Buns, Split Decision, Rolling Along;
• Beginning Orchestra — Hop Scotch, Rolling Along, Good King Wenceslas;
• Fifth Grade Band — Feliz Navidad, Jolly Old St. Nicholas, Oh Hanukkah;
• Orchestra — A Celtic Christmas Fantasy, Light the Candles!, Dance of Fire;
• Symphonic Band — The Magnificent Seven, Do You Hear What I Hear?, Arabian Dances.
• Jazz Big Band — Come Fly With Me, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Hawaii Five-O;
• Jazz Combos — Low Rider, I’ll Be Home for Christmas, James Bond Theme/Sonnymoon for Two, Superstition/Cold Duck Time, Get Back/Road Song;
• Glee Club — Music Brings Joy!, The Swallow, Beautiful December, Hey Ho Nobody’s Home.
Eighth grade students performed in the following smaller groups during the concert: Brass Choir (A Carol for Christmas), Clarinet Choir (Shalom Aleichem), Brass Quartet (Chorale from the Christmas Oratory), Saxophone Ensemble (Christmas Serenade), and Chamber Orchestra (Wizards in Winter).
Daytime performance previews were presented on Dec.12 and 13 for students at Knollwood School. Members of the Orchestra, Glee Club, and Fifth Grade Band visited nearby Viola L. Sickles School on Dec. 14 to provide students in kindergarten through third grade with musical holiday cheer.
— Edited press release from the Fair Haven School District